Thursday, February 11, 2010

To Do Lists...

So, I was noticing that I was dropping some balls...insert lame joke here... I always keep to do lists but I was missing the little pieces, and I was having a really hard time focusing on things during the day. I don't know if I have Spring Fever or what...but I wasn't being as efficient and/or productive as I like to be.

So, I started making baby to do lists for my day that drew from my bigger one. I've also started taking away the distractions in my office. I know I'm not ADD, but I was sure acting like it. Any time a shiny object or interesting person came by I was more than happy to be distracted. I got really sick of it. It all culminated with me realizing that I was no longer investing time in the relationships with the managers I support at work. I realized they were calling me as much for things, I wasn't the resource I once was to them. Why? Because I wasn't bringing the value you they were used to. It didn't mean I wasn't busy or that I wasn't getting things done. I just wasn't on my game and wasn't making them a priority or being as responsive as I can be.

Well no more of that! As much as we think dabbling here or there makes the day easier, I've found it actually makes it slower. And by daabbling here or there, I don't mean in work. I mean in the distractions. I found for awhile that I was inviting those distractions in, in an attempt to make the day go faster so I could get home and enjoy family time. In the end, it just made it longer, and when I left I was more distracted than normal because I was still thinking about work.

I'm trying my darndest to keep this up. Hey...I have a reputation to uphold at the least and at the most, I can help the people I want to help and get something out of it in return. I guess it also made me realize I was creating my own reality. I told myself enough times that I didn't want to do something or that I was bored. Eventually, even though I have PLENTY to do, I was feeling mentally bored. Then came the eating, etc. All my bad habits were showing themselves to me quite easily.

I'll keep working at this and hopefully my reality will keep looking brighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment