Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Boredom...my worst enemy

Boredom is definitely my worst enemy. I'm not talking the kind of boredom where you don't have anything to do. Rather boredom to me is when my mind is bored. It may be because I don't have anything to do; may be because I'm not interested in what I'm doing; what I'm doing doesn't challenge me; If my mom could weigh in right here, I imagine she would and probably laugh and smile a bit while she was doing it.

I have never been very good at entertaining myself. I am easily bored in a lot of aspects of life and have not been blessed with the ability to self-entertain. (Being serious for a moment...leave all dirty jokes at the door please :)) When I was a child I would look at my mom and ask her what we were doing next where as my brother would start playing imaginative play or whatever game he was interested in at the time. I always have to have something to do. When I don't, I get bored...and then I eat. Growing up it wasn't too bad. I had school and my mom to watch over what I was doing. So, I didn't overeat too bad. However, once I went to college...it all went down hill. I've had moments of light, but its been a pretty difficult battle. Sitting at a desk all day is definitely not the most conduscive to dealing with my desire to eat when I'm bored. It just gives me something to do. Some might say that marrying my hubby was the best thing I could have done. He's ADHD and is always on the go and loves when we are on the go together. It is definitely a wonderful thing. However, being at work or just being at home are landmines for me. I might have something to do, but if I don't want to do it right at that moment, here comes the thoughts of food. They say you should do something else when you think of food. However, if I wanted to do what I was trying to put off, I wouldn't be thinking of food :).

Yes, I know. Most of you will look at this and laugh or roll your eyes and say welcome to being an adult. We have to do lots of things we don't want to do. I am perfectly well aware of that, and I do all the time. However, these thoughts of food just won't go away. I'm working through it and will keep at it. It's just frustrating. I do often feel like a kid who can't control herself, except I'm not a kid and I know better!

I'm working through it and am a person in process for sure. I hope as I continue to workout hard and see my body improve that the bored eating diminishes. So far today has been a good day. I'm proud of what I've accomplished for the day eating wise and got some great work done!

No comments:

Post a Comment