As I was curled up on my couch the other night reading my latest book, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (you can buy at Amazon.com), she talked about a situation where everyone started raining on her parade. She said she was a genuinely happy person at heart but she wanted to work on being happier. Her husband as well as various other friends asked her why would she want to do that? Her husband questioned her on whether she really was happy? Was he missing something? Her friends said well why do you need to be happier?
It hit me. Why do we (and by we I mean some of us, not all of us) rain on others parades so much? I believe its because we hear them from our perspective instead of really listening to what they are saying and what they need. So, if it doesn't fit into what we would want to do; or we're jealous of what they are doing secretly; we don't understand it...pick your reason, we decide to tell them they are crazy or stupid or *insert adjective here*. If we really care about the people why do we do that?
I realized I don't have a lot of that in my life. As I started down my journey the past few months, I've had a lot of support. I can't think of a time where my husband said "Why would you want to do that?" or that a friend didn't say "Go girl!". However, I can think of plenty of times where I have questioned others reasons for doing something when they were explaining something important. I certainly try not to, but it happens.
I've decided I'm going to work on listening to what others need and why they are excited about something instead of trying to find the pitfalls. It doesn't mean I can't ask probing questions to find out why its so important or have a discussion with them, but I need to really listen to what they need not what I think they need. Call it the counselor in me, but I almost always think I can find a solution for them. Sometimes you just can't. Sometimes it's just the journey that helps them even if they do step in a few mines along the way.
I'm so thankful for everyone who continues to support me even when I have a day that doesn't go the greatest! I'm going to make sure you get nothing but thankfulness back from me!

No comments:
Post a Comment